Consolidate to PacificNG forums?

Feedback, questions, updates on current projects, you name it!
Pencil
Site Admin

Consolidate to PacificNG forums?

Post by Pencil »

I've been thinking about this for a while, and was wondering what you all think about consolidating these forums to the PacificNG forums (http://www.pacificng.com/forum/index.php)? This forum (aside from the last couple of days) doesn't get a whole lot of traffic; and there's a fair amount of potential overlap with PacificNG.

Anyway, thoughts?
Curtis
ferroequine

Re: Consolidate to PacificNG forums?

Post by ferroequine »

I am OK with this. We have a lot of lurkers on the PacificNG forum that might have some answers to questions.

Would you want to use the Digital Modeling Forum, or create a "Carson Car Shops" forum alongside it?
Trainboi

Post by Trainboi »

I certainly wouldn't mind moving to the PacificNG forums.
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

I would think we could just use the existing Digital Modelling forum.
Kegg_Works

Post by Kegg_Works »

Consolidating to PacificNG? This was something I wasn't expecting to see.

Personally, I really like and enjoy that us "Old Time" Trainzers have our own dedicated forum to post and interact on. So I'm pretty comfortable with where things are. Here both Standard and Narrow gauge content can be freely shared and developed, whereas I think with PacificNG it would need to lean more towards the Narrow Gauge side of things. Not that there's anything wrong with that. (since I'm an advocate of narrow gauge)

And also freelancers, like myself, I think would feel a bit out of place. PacificNG is a fantastic group who know their stuff about period slim gauge railroading. So there really isn't much room for someone like myself working on fictitious and/or "probable" routes. It certainly would be, and is, a great place for period discussions.

I do like where things are, though I understand why thought has been put into consolidating this forum. Only until recently has there been an influx of activity, but it's still a place focused on old time and period railroading. However if you do decide to consolidate I would gladly accept that. Though if that is the case I think it would be nice to have our own "section" in the PacificNG forum. That's just me though.
Eat Yer' Beans...
Route Building A.D.D!! :wink:
NormHart

Post by NormHart »

Up to you Curtis but I'll miss this place.

I do have to say I can't see discussion of early Central Pacific or Union Pacific being welcome there.
ferroequine

Post by ferroequine »

It is absolutely welcome. Most of the PacificNG staff are CP/UP fans, understanding the standard gauge system out west is vital to understanding the narrow gauges themselves. If it hadn't been for games played by the CP and SP, many of the narrow gauge lines in California wouldn't have been built. The South Pacific Coast Railroad was built to compete with the CP, and won. There is plenty of overlap between the SG and NG practices, don't forget most of those narrow gauges had to connect with something for transshipment.

Not only that, the CP/SP and UP both had controlling interests in many narrow gauge railroads. The Utah and Northern (which is not yet on the site) was controlled by UP starting in the 1880s and they applied the same standards to the narrow gauge equipment as the standard gauge. The CP/SP did the same operating lines in Northern and Southern California before they gained control of the C&C. After 1885 the SPC is controlled by the SP and they repaint everything to SP standards, right down to the passenger cars.

I actually model the V&T circa 1900 in HO scale (narrow gauge stuff I build in On3 for display), so the CP/UP and others go right along with my interests. Daniel and Curtis know this first hand, they've seen PacificNG members in action at the V&T (and SPNGHS) conferences. Most importantly, PacificNG isn't supposed to be just a couple people, everyone is encouraged to be involved. ;)

PacificNG was created to consolidate information, this includes "honorary" narrow gauges like the V&T, Sierra, Colorado Midland, etc. It is meant to be a place to ask questions and discuss various topics. There is plenty of room for fictitious railroading too! John Ott, Don Ball and many other "Early Rail" enthusiasts use PacificNG on a regular basis. Our forum is a little slow since I broke the style template last year, but you're absolutely welcome to post about your projects fictitious or otherwise in the forum. Variety is the spice of life.

About the only thing that would be frowned upon would be post-1924 D&RGW, there are plenty of other places to look for that information. :twisted:
ferroequine

Post by ferroequine »

A good example of standard / narrow gauge crossover would be items like the color cards. This link goes to the color card for SPC coach 39 (now down at Orange Empire Railroad Museum). What this card doesn't outwardly state is that the paint layers starting in 1887 are all standard CP/SP paint. :)

http://www.pacificng.com/pdf/web/viewer ... 9_Body.pdf

Here is SPC coach 42 circa 1904, shortly before the SPC equipment went to the Tonopah boom. This is wearing the standard paint scheme all CP/SP equipment wore through around 1915 or so.

http://www.pacificng.com/pdf/web/viewer ... randon.pdf

Let's not forget this beauty, UP cabooses circa 1883. This drawing is the culmination of years worth of research, some luck and a paint sample from the original car 72, built by the UP shops (Later C&S caboose 1008).
DSPP-way-car-76-ca-1883.png
DSPP-way-car-76-ca-1883.png (175.73 KiB) Viewed 47924 times
Kegg_Works

Post by Kegg_Works »

Well, after reading all of that I do feel better about the idea. So it's up to you Cutis, whatever your final say is I will be fine with. Though I would miss this place.

Though Andrew, I tried joning the PCNG forum a while back, but never recieved the activation email. Do you know who I could talk to about that?
Eat Yer' Beans...
Route Building A.D.D!! :wink:
ferroequine

Post by ferroequine »

I am not sure why you didn't get the activation email, but I just activated your account.

You should be all set.
NormHart

Post by NormHart »

One thing. What is going to happen to the stuff hosted here? Near as I can figure PNG doesn't host.
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

Oh, just the forums only. I'll keep this site up, mark the forums as read-only, and just add a page or something that redirects to PNG with an option to go to these (read-only) forums. As far as I can tell, PNG allows attachments to posts, so that shouldn't change. These forums are just a fair amount of maintenance for something that might go for a month in-between posts.
However, I *am* interested in opinions; that's why I waited to say something until we had a period of decent traffic with most of the regulars involved.