1920s stuff

Feedback, questions, updates on current projects, you name it!
Pencil
Site Admin

Re: 1920s stuff

Post by Pencil »

I almost have the stake truck done; it should be available Soon(tm). I also found some smoothing issues with the dump trucks, so I'll upload a fixed version of those, as well. I'll probably add an attachment point for a passenger, but not include one in the model. That way, anyone reskinning these trucks can make them a little more unique with minimal effort.
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

I put the touring car aside for a moment to work on a panel van version in what I think might be US Mail colors:
model_30_truck_wip_1.jpg
model_30_truck_wip_1.jpg (73.36 KiB) Viewed 58774 times
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

Several van versions:
dodge_vans.jpg
dodge_vans.jpg (180.16 KiB) Viewed 58761 times
There always seems to be something else to do, but I'm hoping the static ones will make it to the DLS before too long. The traffic versions will be a bit later, as I still need to make some drivers......
NormHart

Post by NormHart »

They are great! Any chance of some without lettering? I tried digging around for some idea of what the stock factory colors might have been but didn't find anything. Some photos seemed to show a factory black but hard to say for sure.
NormHart

Post by NormHart »

Fun too!

Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

As far as I can tell, commercial vehicles back then tended to be put together by the purchaser - chassis and engine from the manufacturer, and the body from a separate company. So, they were all custom jobs. I've seen a variety of colors on the Internet, but nothing to suggest anything was 'standard'.

Here's the .psd for your reskinning pleasure :)
http://carsoncarshops.com/files/dodge_truck_psd.zip
NormHart

Post by NormHart »

Thanks, not sure I'll ever get around to doing anything with it.
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

A couple simple crossing signs. Taken from the 1927 AASHO traffic manual, I *believe* signs like this were is use (a little?) earlier. I've seen them in photos dated 1950; I'm sure some survived in use past then.

Image Image
Trainboi

Post by Trainboi »

Lovely. May I ask about those crossing gates? They look really good, and much needed for period routes.
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

For the gates, I still need to finish the model and animate it (and then set up some nice generic crossings to use them). It'll probably be after the convention in October, though; they're good enough for my presentation so I likely won't spend more time on them until after the presentation is completed.

I haven't come across much info on those types of crossing gates, so if you come across any, feel free to shoot it my way!

I've been making a bunch of roads, also - I'll probably just do a big update all at once and spam the DLS like some of those catenary projects :)

2nd street crossing; ca 1920 or so:
2nd_st_crossing_sm.jpg
2nd_st_crossing_sm.jpg (109.57 KiB) Viewed 58585 times
Solomani

Post by Solomani »

Trainz is getting very close to the point where I will give up modeling outside of Trainz. And Curtis, you are leading the way. Those are some truly beautiful and detailed photos.

Looking forward to your presentation.

-John