understanding files and content creation in Trainz 2012

Feedback, questions, updates on current projects, you name it!
whecsailor

understanding files and content creation in Trainz 2012

Post by whecsailor »

Hi all, OK, I have not added trainz content since 2004 edition so please, excuse the incorrect terminologies, and stupid questions that are probably so obvious to you all.
In the old edition I could build content and test it simply by creating a folder in the
Auran/trainz 2004/ world/HTML file, I could make up the file there and test and such, then make the CDP and export,

OK, I am looking at 2012, and I am feeling that I am at the lowest trailhead and looking up at Everest right now :shock:

I am looking in N3v/TS12/userdata/Local and see numerous files marked Hash-XX, each with their own subfiles. I am assuming there is a method of filing in this area.

I wish to just first start updating some of my old scenery first. (baby steps) Is this the same area like in the 2004 edition and is there a guide that tells me where to add them in for testing before cdp'ing them>

OK, I am seeing the 'config.Chump" files, I assume these are the equal to the old config files, what tool writes these please? they do not open the old way (text files)

again sorry if I sound like a dolt, but calling me a dolt right now that would be making the dolt sound bad! :D
Pencil
Site Admin

Re: understanding files and content creation in Trainz 2012

Post by Pencil »

lol - no worries. Things have changed a bit, starting with TRS 2006 (you just missed it!)
The files are now stored in a database, and aren't directly editable. To edit items already in the game, you'll need to go through the database (Content Manager).
From the Trainz splash screen, choose 'Content'
This will open Content Manager. Find the asset you'd like to edit there, and right-click on it. Pick 'Edit' from the list, then 'Edit in Explorer'.
This will open an explorer window with your asset ready to play with; including the familiar config.txt.
Make any changes, then go back to Content Manager. Right-click on your 'open for edit' asset, and choose 'Eidt', then 'Commit'. Your updated asset should be ready to go.

One thing - this only works if you don't change / update the KUID. If you need / want to change the kuid, do the following instead:
Save the config file with the new KUID.
Import the asset back into Content Manager. You can either drag and drop the folder with the asset into CM, or you can go to file -> Import Content
Then, after the import is complete, you should see your original asset, now marked as obsolete and open for edit. Right-click on it, 'Edit', then 'Revert'.

Hope this helps?
Curtis
whecsailor

Re: understanding files and content creation in Trainz 2012

Post by whecsailor »

Onward :arrow: Into the darkenss I go!! :shock:
Thank you , and I'll give it a try!!
More to follow once I dabble with this!