A Problem with Ships

Feedback, questions, updates on current projects, you name it!
Trainboi

A Problem with Ships

Post by Trainboi »

I have recently encountered a problem with Curtis's Drivable Steam Schooner 1. The issue is simply that it does not appear in game. The shadow, coronas, and cargo all appear, but the main mesh does not. If anyone can identify and fix this problem, I would be much obliged.
Pencil
Site Admin

Re: A Problem with Ships

Post by Pencil »

Interesting - I just tried it in TS12 SP1 (build 61338); direct X mode, and both it and #2 worked OK (until I sank them 'accidentally'). They need operating props and rudders, though (and a script to turn off the smoke and lights when they sink.....)
My gfx card is a Nvidia GTX 770; driver 347.25

What's your configuration? And does schooner #2 also not work?

Curtis
sank.jpg
sank.jpg (87.76 KiB) Viewed 43476 times
Trainboi

Post by Trainboi »

I've got a NVidia GeForce 8600 GTS, currently in OpenGL mode(going to try Directx presently, just as soon as I remove an ENB I was messing with because it actually crashes my game when I try to load the C&L or WP&Y routes. :oops: Reason number a thousand and one why I'm currently saving up for a better computer.
I'll download Schooner #2 to try it.
Trainboi

Post by Trainboi »

Huh, I guess your ships don't like OpenGL. I wonder why that is...
Anyway, thanks!
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

That's a good question - I'll do some poking around and see what I can find......

Thanks for letting me know!
Curtis
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

I haven't been able to reproduce this issue using OpenGL on any of my systems; either with ATI cards or NVidia. Odd....
Let me see if I can re-export the model using Blender and the new exporters, and see if that makes any difference....

Curtis
Trainboi

Post by Trainboi »

Heh. I'm not sure what caused it myself, although I haven't tried setting Trainz back into OpenGL after the ship originally stopped working. I'm sure there's some reason, just no ideas why it would be.
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

I've now re-exported one of the ships from Blender (and added normal maps, and optimized textures, and general cleanup, and fixed the TANE error, and....), if you want to see if it works in OpenGL on your system? It's Trainz-build 3.7, I think, but should be able to be backdated to 3.0.
I suspect I'll rev it to 4.whatever (TANE) before I put it on the DLS, as then I can add / adjust the suspension properties to better simulate 'floating' using the new rough track parameters - but I'm open to arguments either way.
http://www.carsoncarshops.com/files/Ste ... r_test.cdp
TANE_Schooner.jpg
TANE_Schooner.jpg (60.17 KiB) Viewed 43011 times
Trainboi

Post by Trainboi »

I'll look at it; I'm running SP1 so 3.7 isn't a problem. 4.0 is, so I'll pick up the beta rather than go for the finished asset.
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

Maybe I'll keep them at 3.7 for now anyway, then. If I get around to playing with the TANE-specific stuff, I'll do another release at that time.
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

One more version - when reviewing the plans, I noticed some things were missing / not quite right, so I made a couple more changes.

Same link as before; http://www.carsoncarshops.com/files/Ste ... r_test.cdp
I'll convert the other versions over, and if no issues, put them on the DLS.

Curtis
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

OK, last update, I swear! The file now has both ships, as well as static versions. If no issues, I'll put them on the DLS later this week at build 3.7.

Curtis
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

Updated schooners are now on the DLS; with any luck, they fix the OLG issue on some systems :)