SP #1 returns home

Feedback, questions, updates on current projects, you name it!
ferroequine

SP #1 returns home

Post by ferroequine »

Guess where? :mrgreen:
2014-05-16_00001.jpg
2014-05-16_00001.jpg (164.15 KiB) Viewed 24733 times
Pencil
Site Admin

Re: SP #1 returns home

Post by Pencil »

Nice!!! Mina, perhaps?
ferroequine

Post by ferroequine »

You are correct! I ran the locomotive light from Tonopah Jct, to Mina the other day.

With the C&L nearing completion, I needed a new project to tinker with. Curtis was so kind as to create the terrain for it, all 300+ miles from Mound House to Keeler. He was able to use TransDEM to create a spline track layer from my SPNG map over on PacificNG. As it currently stands, it is a whopping 990MB of terrain data alone... ;)
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

The DEM data for this route is 4.6GB; it never would have been possible without the new 64-bit version of TransDEM.
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (39.96 KiB) Viewed 24714 times
Colorado76

Post by Colorado76 »

Nice Route,

I also have the DEM map of the entire C&C route plus the Jawbone Branch that a friend of mine made for me a while ago. It is indeed quite a nice route by all means.
Kegg_Works

Post by Kegg_Works »

I've only recently, the past year or two, become interested in the Carson & Colorado ans the SP narrow gauge. There's just something about such a narrow gauge line winding its way through the isolated deserts of the southwest I find very appealing! Is the DEM map available for public download anywhere? I'm especially interested in the portion of the line encompassing Montgomery Pass. :D
Eat Yer' Beans...
Route Building A.D.D!! :wink:
ferroequine

Post by ferroequine »

The DEM is not available at this time, but I will be working on the route more after I get the Colusa & Lake beta uploaded next week.
So far there is the entire length of track along the route, but it doesn't represent a single point in time. In fact, it is wildly anachronistic in it's present state. If you look at the map image the C&C, SP (Hazen and Jawbone branches), Nevada Copper Belt, Tonopah RR have sections on the map. The realignments around Hawthorne, the Cottonwood Branch and the realignment around Tenemaha Reservoir in the Owens Valley are all there too. At no point in history did all of these things exist together... ;) This work file will be modified into several versions including: C&C 1888ish, 1904-5, 1917 and 1955. The first beta will likely be the C&C 1888 since it would take advantage of Curtis' wonderful V&T buildings.

For the past 2 years I have been actively photographing soil during my explorations which is going to be helpful in this project. I have so far collected soil textures from: Mound House, Churchill, Wabuska, Hawthorne, Mina (Yard and Mainline), Tonopah, Zurich, Beneme, Tenemaha Reservoir, Owenyo and Keeler.

So far I've only done some minor cleanup around Mina and Mound House, I should have something more operable in a couple months as time allows.