Rollins Pass NG36

Feedback, questions, updates on current projects, you name it!
NormHart

Rollins Pass NG36

Post by NormHart »

My adaptation of TrainzItalia's Rollins Pass 1915 is now available here http://www.trainzitalia.com/vbulletin/d ... le&id=2131

It is freeware but you will have to register at the TrainzItalia website.

Enjoy and Merry Christmas.
Trainboi

Re: Rollins Pass NG36

Post by Trainboi »

Good that I'll be able to get it; I think I'll be doing NCNG #9 first out of the Model Railroader Cyclopedia I got this morning and it'll need a route to run on when it's done...
ferroequine

Post by ferroequine »

I have a copy of the Baldwin erecting drawing for N-C-O 14 (NCNG 9) if you need any data. I have the drawing for the semi-cylindrical tender as well (the more difficult drawing to find). Sadly, I do not have a scan of this, but rather a full size print of the original drawing. I could attempt to photograph portions as needed.

I do not have the drawing for the tender that was shipped with the locomotive to the NCNG, it was originally from SP 22, which was a sister to RGS 20. I think I know which drawing is in the MRC and it should be good enough.

That said, I am writing a book on the NCNG, let me know if you need detail photos. ;)
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

Hi Norm,

It's a great little route. Thank you (and the TrainzItalia team) for all the hard work!
ferroequine wrote:I am writing a book on the NCNG
Wonderful news! When I was a kid, my parents looked at some houses in Grass Valley / Nevada City. Although we ended up with a house in Marysville, I've always had a soft spot for that area :)

Curtis
Trainboi

Post by Trainboi »

ferroequine wrote:I have a copy of the Baldwin erecting drawing for N-C-O 14 (NCNG 9) if you need any data. I have the drawing for the semi-cylindrical tender as well (the more difficult drawing to find). Sadly, I do not have a scan of this, but rather a full size print of the original drawing. I could attempt to photograph portions as needed.

I do not have the drawing for the tender that was shipped with the locomotive to the NCNG, it was originally from SP 22, which was a sister to RGS 20. I think I know which drawing is in the MRC and it should be good enough.

That said, I am writing a book on the NCNG, let me know if you need detail photos. ;)
No worries, a Robbie Hanson was kind enough to provide me with drawings of #22 and tender, which means I already have plans for the apparently elusive whaleback, as it's also the post tender-swap. The drawing of the #9 is for the NCNG version too, so I've got both tenders covered; I've not got started on the different versions yet though. I need to do a rear sandline for the Navy version, boilertop tanks for the as-built model, and I've not even started the whaleback tender, as I've been traveling and only got the plans in the wee hours of this morning.
A render of the NCNG version:
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

That's a nice looking loco :)
And happy new year!
Trainboi

Post by Trainboi »

Well, Norm, I only really got the route running today(It's dependencies are a lot easier to find than anybody else's routes, thanks for that) and I'm VERY impressed. Grand job on your part, even though I wound up having to use a bunch of 30 inch stuff because I haven't downloaded enough stuff into 2012 yet, it made for a smashing time(especially when my friends saw-I was running it at lunch today during school!) Great route sir, I love it.
NormHart

Post by NormHart »

Thanks trainboi, most all of the credit goes to jango. I was really surprised when he offered to release this as freeware since it is one of TrainzItalia's payware routes. But I guess with Donner Pass coming up and since the Rollins Pass Winter is still payware and West from Denver they have some money coming in. All I did to the route was replace the SG track with Curtis' excellent 35lb NG36 track (adjusted for height), replace the trestles with Colorado71's NG36 trestles and add the interactive industries that matched the historical industries of the route and era. Nothing like placing thousands of trees, hundreds of bushes, etc etc. that making the route from scratch takes.

Finding NG36 rolling stock is a bit hard, especially interactive freight cars. I am slowly working my way through prowler901's stuff and I have some stuff from slugsmasher and narrowgauge that can be made interactive with some script additions.

I have say that buying a lifetime membership for $50 at TrainzItalia was one of my best purchases. Way better than the DLC stuff I got from N3V IMO.
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

I think Meridous' 3' boxcars on TPR are industry interactive.
bdaneal

Post by bdaneal »

You can swap 36" gauge bogeys under my 30" gauge cars pretty easily. The 30" cars are industry interactive and are based on 36" gauge prototypes (they were based on a set of 36ng C&S cars that I apparently never got around to releasing.) I'm not sure how they fare against TS2012's error checking, but I can't say I've ever gotten complaints about them being faulty. The coupler height will be a little low, but I think the height is close (maybe 2 inches off.)
Cheers,
Ben
Trainboi

Post by Trainboi »

Was running this line for some time today.
#1 wasn't quite at operating pressure but I had planned to let it build up steam. I subsequently got bored and started switching anyway.
Having compiled a short train, I noticed #1 still suffering from low boiler pressure. I went to the wye, switched #9(which had been sitting on shed) on to the front, and started out of Fraser.
#9 took the brunt of the train, but was starting to lose steam by Woods siding. About halfway between Irving and Pacific siding, #1 hit her operating pressure and started taking over the train.
I left #9 at Pacific siding to raise steam and headed on towards Arrow.
Didn't take shots after Arrow, but...
Anyway this route is beautiful.
NormHart

Post by NormHart »

Pencil wrote:I think Meridous' 3' boxcars on TPR are industry interactive.
Sadly I can not find these railcars on TPR. I have all of Meridous' boxcars, I'll try putting some NG36 trucks under them and see what I get. LOL
EDIT: Yay! Found the NG36 boxcars, I needed to use different search criteria.

Thanks trainboi1 glad you like it. Nice locomotive too.
NormHart

Post by NormHart »

Thanks for the suggestion Ben!

Your freight cars look fantastic. I've always been a fan of chameleon skins and these models use that really well. I hunted around for some trucks that looked good with them and came up with thegrindre's kuid:347185:1088 3' NG Archbar Truck off of TPR.

Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

Those do look nice in 3' gauge :)
For Meridious' old cars, I think that in the script, there's a section or two that have underscores - just replace those with the same number of spaces, and they should be fine. I should probably talk to an admin over at TPR and see if I can get those changes into the cars...
NormHart

Post by NormHart »

Pencil wrote:Those do look nice in 3' gauge :)
For Meridious' old cars, I think that in the script, there's a section or two that have underscores - just replace those with the same number of spaces, and they should be fine. I should probably talk to an admin over at TPR and see if I can get those changes into the cars...
Yes, I remember this from those other Meridious freight cars you walked me through fixing.