New start and Climax enginespec trouble.

Feedback, questions, updates on current projects, you name it!
ZapperJet

New start and Climax enginespec trouble.

Post by ZapperJet »

Hi all,

I've decided to start anew. I won't be revisiting the Cass #5 or Class C Climax projects or any other previous projects I began as I find the methods I used then outmoded.

As such I've started a new set of locomotives, the first of which being a Class B Climax of 36" gauge:

I'm really happy how the mesh, animations, and especially the textures turned out on this one. I finally have a technique I personally approve of!

I'm running into the stumbling block of making an enginespec, cab, and loads for it as I've never done these before (I've always used DCC). Also, some form of "hack" for an 8 chuff-per-wheel-revolution sound needs to be done. I'm not good with complex scripts either.

Where do I begin?

Cheers,
John
Pencil
Site Admin

Re: New start and Climax enginespec trouble.

Post by Pencil »

Hi John!
Nice to see you again!

The 8-chuff sound is easy - add an invisible bogey and set the animdist to 1/2 that of your drivers, and have that bogey be the one with the direct-drive = 1 tag.
For the enginespec, one starting place might be Bill's spreadsheet at http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthre ... post731780
While this was set up for general rod locos, you might be able to use it as a starting base.
With the tender attached, you'll want to set the config up like a tank loco; basically this just involves including the water and fuel queues in the config.

Hope that helps to start?
Curtis
ZapperJet

Post by ZapperJet »

Hi Curtis,

I've tried using Bill's spreadsheet to formulate an enginespec, but no matter what I try I cannot get the locomotive to build steam past 4 psi. I am using the PB15 interior, I have also referenced the PB15 enginespec to the Climax with no avail, it still sticks at 4 psi. I have added water and coal queues.

I don't understand these new TC3-onward content creation rules, and Auran has failed to provide documentation to assist.

On a side note, the particles that are of mode "lowpressurevalve" in the engine's config file appear to go off all the time, even with a boiler pressure of 4 psi...?
Pencil
Site Admin

Post by Pencil »

you might have to delete and re-add the loco to your test route - some of the values tend to 'stick' even though you change the configs....
ZapperJet

Post by ZapperJet »

Thanks Curtis, I didn't think of that (Trainz caches in mysterious ways).

The values provided in Bill's spreadsheet don't seem to accurately model the tractive effort of the Climax well. I think I have to set it up as a 4 cylinder locomotive (8 power strokes per revolution).

Also, the boiler pressure starts out at around 2000 psi, quickly drops to 158, then bounces up and down triggering the safety valve. I think, therefore, that some value in Bill's spreadsheet my not be of the correct units?

Cheers,
John
BraselC5048

Post by BraselC5048 »

There's a few things you might want to check. First, you have to use a TC3 or later enginesound. If you don't weird things will happen. Second, make sure that the enginespec is trs2009 native. Trust me, I took an enginespec and rewrote it for trs2009, but never actually edited in content creator or updated the trainzbuild to 2.9, and wound up with an engine with no boiler pressure. :roll: Took me a while to figure that one out. To increase the tractive effort, might I suggest dividing the driver diameter by the gear ratio? (and the fiddling with the driver diameter until the tractive effort figure in the spreadsheet is right).