Central Pacfic Railway Company Named Engine Roster

Feedback, questions, updates on current projects, you name it!
NormHart

Central Pacfic Railway Company Named Engine Roster

Post by NormHart »

Central Pacfic Railway Company Engine Roster.csv
Edit: Updated file with cylinder dimensions http://www.mediafire.com/?4xunz3u7ak4ffn1 Central Pacfic Railway Company Engine Roster 2.csv

This is a comma delimited spreadsheet which should import into whatever spreadsheet program you are using.

It contains the Road Number, Locomotive Name, Type (4-4-0 etc.), Driver diameter in inches, Builder, Builder Number, Date Built, Weight, Effort, 1981 Renumber, and remarks and my comments. The basis is from the 1998 Encyclopedia of Western Railroad History with some modifications by myself. This is not the entire Central Pacific roster, just those engines which were named and as such covers, more or less, 1861 through the mid 1870s. There are about 200 engines listed. :shock: There are some duplicate road numbers and duplicate names, so far as I can determine these were replacements.

Enjoy!

As time goes by I hope to expand this to include cylinder diameter and stroke for each engine as I can determine them.

And, as always seems to happen, I've stumbled on this http://cprr.org/Museum/Locomotives/Name ... ives_2.pdf which contains most if not all of the Cylinder/Stroke information I'll need. :o
Last edited by NormHart on Sun May 20, 2012 7:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pencil
Site Admin

Re: Central Pacfic Railway Company Named Engine Roster

Post by Pencil »

Yes, the CPRR.org site has quite a bit on the CP locomotives - http://cprr.org/Museum/Locomotives/index.html
NormHart

Post by NormHart »

Oh thank you Curtis! I knew this site had to have an index but I searched and searched and could not find it. The condition of the records is more than a little scary though. Should be fun.
NormHart

Post by NormHart »

I've integrated the cylinder data into the spreadsheet and the link is in the first post.

I found several misspelled or misnamed engines that have been corrected, I am currently cross referencing the data in this spreadsheet with other railroad tables in the Encyclopedia of Western Railroad History to, hopefully, resolve several conflicts in the data. I am considering whether to begin integrating photos of the engines as I find them. I am also beginning the creation of a spreadsheet containing the data from the Railway & Locomotive Historical Society's Records of the MASON LOCOMOTIVE WORKS pdf and intend to append to that all the data I can from the Encylopedia.

It is my intention to use the data format from the first spreadsheet for all following spreadsheets so that they all have a common format. If anyone has input on the format or indeed anything else it would be welcome.

Current data format:
"Road No.","Name","Type","Driver Inches","Cylinders","Builder","Builder No.","Date","Weight","Effort","1891 Renumber","Remarks","Comments","Model"

Enjoy

Edit: After begining work there were some obvious problems with the above format when applied to manufacture's data. I've added "Railroad" and "Gauge" columns and removed the "1891 Renumber" column. With 754 Mason locomotives I have a lot of data entry to do. Once the basic data in entered I'll begin coordinating it with the CP Engine Roster and start working on other data sources.